When considering places to purchase CBD from, Amazon might not be the first site to come to mind. Maybe this is because you have heard that CBD is not able to be sold on Amazon. Officially, this is the case, but there are certainly still ways to find high-quality CBD on Amazon, you just need to know where and how to look!
As with most popular products in life, the CBD landscape on Amazon is incredibly crowded and saturated. On Amazon, the world’s largest e-commerce site, you can buy just about anything, including CBD. Amazon is an easy and convenient way to buy CBD, but it is also an easy place for unsafe fakes and “snake oil” to appear. While some CBD products on Amazon are authentic, but many are not.
This post will act as a guide for buying cannabidiol on Amazon, including the pros and cons and how to discern the good stuff from the bad. This takes on an added layer of importance, as for the first time, Amazon has launched a pilot program on their UK site inviting some CBD makers to freely and openly sell CBD. So amongst all of these developments and the increased acceptance of CBD in the mainstream, it is time to clear up all the confusion and misconceptions surrounding buying CBD on Amazon.
Can you buy CBD on Amazon?
Up until recently, the sale of CBD on Amazon was officially completely forbidden. Their company policy explicitly states, “Listings for products containing cannabidiol (CBD) are prohibited.” However, it is very possible to purchase CBD on Amazon, it just might not be explicitly listed as such. When searching for CBD, you can not simply type “CBD” into your Amazon search bar. If you do, you’ll get a long list of results — many of which contain zero CBD.
CBD products on Amazon are frequently listed as “hemp oil”. This clever marketing acts as a signal that the product is actually a cannabidiol product. Labelling the listing as a hemp oil product does not signal Amazon that the product is, in fact, CBD. If it was listed as a CBD product it would quickly be flagged and removed from the website.
So the first step to identifying CBD on Amazon is knowing to look for “hemp oil”, rather than cannabidiol oil. Since CBD products on Amazon are sold under-the-table and are not as strictly regulated, looking at labels and investigating the safety and quality of a product before purchasing is of great importance. In order to ensure the product you are buying is regulated and authentic, make sure to consult the reviews, product descriptions, and any infographics the seller has provided.
- Be sure to pay attention to whether the “full range of hemp” is included in your CBD product or not. “Full-range” is a signal word for full spectrum help, which makes up the vast majority of CBD products on Amazon. If you think that broad-spectrum CBD or a CBD isolate are the right products for you, you might want to consider expanding your CBD search beyond Amazon, as your options might be quite limited. If you’re unsure of which spectrum is best for you, make sure to check out our blog post.
- Extraction method
- Extraction is one of the most important things to consider when discerning the quality of a CBD product. Look for brands that use food-grade ethanol or supercritical CO₂ to extract their CBD. These methods do a good job of harnessing hemp’s most important active ingredient without leaving any harsh solvents or chemicals behind. Other good methods for making CBD include distillation or cold-pressing, though CO₂ extraction is most common by far.
- Make sure to consult the descriptions of the products you are interested in purchasing to ensure you receive the benefits you are looking for. Some common benefits of cannabidiol products on Amazon include better sleep, anxiety reduction, or ache and pain relief. Whatever it is you are looking for, ensure you choose an Amazon listing that specifically mentions the benefits you are seeking, which will maximize the chances of getting the help you need out of your CBD product.
- Certificates of authenticity, ingredient lists, and agricultural certifications are all important things to look out for, especially when purchasing CBD on Amazon. Since Amazon’s sale of cannabidiol is not strictly regulated, it is important to ensure the seller you are purchasing from participates in best practices with the highest industry standards in mind. Some signals of this would include certification from the US Hemp Authority, comprehensive labels and ingredient lists that are easily accessible, and the option to access the COA of the product you purchase.
- Money-back guarantees
- A money-back guarantee is an instant signal that a seller is confident in their product and believes it will provide true results. These are common amongst some of the biggest CBD sellers on Amazon, so make sure to consult product descriptions and see which of the products you are looking at offer quality or money-back guarantees.
- Amazon Questions and Answers
- If you’re unsure if you’ve stumbled across a CBD product on Amazon or not, the question and answer section of a listing may be helpful. Other commenters and purchasers may reveal if the product is truly a CBD product or not, so this is a great source to consult if you are looking for CBD on Amazon.
Example of the Question and Answer Section on Amazon
CBD Versus Hemp Seed Oil on Amazon
As we mentioned before, the unregulated nature of CBD sales on Amazon leaves room for the sale of “snake oil” products to appear within hemp oil listings on the site. One of the most common culprits in this regard is hemp seed oil masquerading as hemp or CBD oil. Despite the similarity in names, these products and the effects they have could not be more different. CBD oil uses the stalks, leaves, and flowers of the hemp plant in its production. These contain a higher concentration of CBD, which is the key compound we are looking for in order to ensure actual benefits. Meanwhile, hemp seed oil comes from the seeds of the Cannabis sativa plant, and these products do not contain CBD or other cannabinoids. The main use for hemp seed oil is for cooking, whereas the primary use for CBD is health and wellness purposes.
So when perusing Amazon, you might be tempted to purchase the product you come across with the highest hemp milligram contents, thinking this will boost effectiveness. However, an absurdly high hemp content usually signals that what you are looking at is actually hemp seed oil. For example, usually, a dosage that exceeds 5000 mg is very unlikely to be CBD oil and very likely to be Hemp Seed Oil. Buying hemp seed oil robs you of the important benefits of cannabidiol products, including experiencing the entourage effect (read more about that here), the natural omegas and fatty acids and their benefits found in CBD, and an overall more natural and effective product.
Another signal of hemp seed oil versus CBD oil on Amazon is the price point. If you come across a product with a price that seems too good to be true, it probably is. For example, 100 000 mg at $12.99 is definitely not CBD. Usually, hemp seed oils tend to be chapter than CBD oils, as they are of lower quality and less efficacious. Additionally, manufacturing a high-quality CBD product is costly, whereas the production of hemp seed oil does not share these standards. So high dosage with low prices are clear indications of hemp seed oil. To determine what a reasonable price point for a CBD product is, check out this blog post.
The Pros and Cons of Buying CBD on Amazon
- Many options in one place – but ensure to look out for CBD oil versus hemp seed oil
- Have to look hard to find a good product
- Need to weed out the fakes
- Anyone can sell on Amazon, you have to do research to ensure you’re buying a regulated and reputable product
Spotlight: CBD For Pets
Amazon is a great place to find cannabidiol products for all the furry friends in your life, with many options available. Similarly to humans, dogs too have an endocannabinoid system which makes them as sensitive to CBD as humans. While there’s no definitive scientific data on using CBD to treat dogs, there’s anecdotal evidence from dog owners suggesting it can treat pain, especially neuropathic pain, as well as helping to control seizures.
- Tips for buying CBD for pets
- Look for organic. If the CBD oil is not organic, it at least should not contain pesticides, fungicides, or solvents.
- Don’t sacrifice quality for a cheaper price. The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. You don’t want to go for a cheaper option that could have toxic substances such as pesticides, herbicides, or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is free of additives.
- Get the analysis. The manufacturer should provide a certificate that tells you the amount of CBD that is in the product. Many CBD products contain only small amounts of CBD. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBD as a liquid. You can buy dog treats containing CBD, but the best form to administer is an oil or tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop.
So overall, purchasing CBD on Amazon is certainly a challenging experience. With the products being mislabeled and unregulated, it is easy to accidentally purchase a snake oil product, or even an unsafe product. We would suggest you prioritize looking for your cannabidiol products from safe, regulated sources such as All Premium CBD. On our site, you have full brand transparency and can be assured your hemp has been extracted, tested, and packaged under some of the highest quality standards in the industry.